Tuesday, November 6, 2012

In Which I Bemoan the End of Day Light Savings

I hate the end of daylight savings. Hate Hate Hate. A lot of people I know are like, "But Jane. It's great! You get an extra hour to sleep. Or an extra hour to party. Or an extra hour. Period! Exclamation point!" But for me, the extra hour in the dark is nothing compared to the daylight I'll be losing -- the extra hour of daylight at the end of everyday for the next four months.

Blegh. There is something about the sun setting at 4:30pm that makes me antsy and nervous. Like I must GET THINGS DONE -- QUICKLY -- before the lights go out. Do I want to go to the park today? WELL I MUST GO NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!! Pick up my dry cleaning?? WELL EVERYTHING CLOSES WHEN IT GETS DARK SO I HAVE TO HURRY!! Obviously life doesn't actually stop when the sun goes down... Logically I realize that. But my brain. It sends me signals that are impossible to ignore.

And also, I can't nap in the winter. To nap would be to waste what precious light there is, and in these days every minute counts.

But oh maaaan. I love my Saturday nap. This will be a painful period of separation for both us.

No comments:

Post a Comment