Thursday, January 17, 2013

Let me level with you for a minute

I left my job. My job left me. It was a mutual decision. I wanted one thing for myself and my boss wanted another thing for his company and the two just weren't lining up anymore. I am being completely honest when I say that it was 100% amicable. I hope my boss and I will still know each other in the years to come.

BUT THAT SAID, the transition from working 40+ hours a week to working... 0 hours a week... has been interesting. I had definitely gotten used to working a lot and being tired all the time and generally having an excuse to not get anything else done. Take my dry cleaning to the cleaners? I HAD TO WORK TODAY. Go grocery shopping? DOES SERIOUSLY NO ONE CARE ABOUT HOW HARD IT IS THAT I HAVE TO WORK ALL DAY? Take a weekend trip to a museum? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I ONLY GET TWO DAYS A WEEK TO RELAX. (And by "relax" I of course mean "Spend and entire afternoon lying around in my sweat pants like a bum." Sigh).

Well, now it's like everyday is Saturday. This should mean I get a lot accomplished, right? Like, my clothes are always clean and my refrigerator well-stocked. If I'm being honest with myself, it should also mean that I write a whole lot more often on this blog. And yet.... Somehow.... I still end up spending whole days in my sweatpants like a bum.

All the time in the world, and yet nothing ever gets done. It's kind of incredible. And by "incredible," I of course mean that I have lost all sense of purpose.

I think what I need is structure... a schedule.... Right now my schedule looks like this:

1. Get up whenever my body feels like it, which is typically around noon.
2. Eat a leisurely bowl of cereal.
3. Read the news and catch up on my correspondences (my friends always make fun of me when I say that but it's true! That's what I do).
4. What's that? It's dinnertime?
5. ....

Ok, ok. I might be exaggerating a little. I do SOME other things. And STUFF. In fact, if I wrote it all down here it would probably sound like a lot of stuff. Apply for jobs, go on interviews, run, write, sleep.

And yet my day still feels remarkably empty.

I think what I need right now are some good, self-implemented goals. And I think my first goal will be, "Get up around 9am tomorrow and put on some real pants." Everyone has to start somewhere right?

I'll let you know how that goes.





No comments:

Post a Comment