Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Blog! I've neglected you.

I feel terrible about this. The truth is, I had the flu (or if not the flu, then a flu-like illness that wiped me out for an entire week)... And! then! when I didn't have the flu anymore, I still didn't post anything... because I'm a terrible blog keeper.

You may be disappointed to learn that this blog is not the only person/thing I've neglected:


Humphrey is like: my god! Why have your forsaken me!

Readers of my blog are like: oh my god. you still haven't thrown that pumpkin out? Do you also leave your christmas lights up well past new years? 

You will be happy to know that I do NOT leave my Christmas lights up for any indecent length of time.... but that is mostly because I don't put Christmas lights up in the first place. Phew. 

And yes, I will throw Humphrey away. For the past.. months... I couldn't bring myself to. But now that his face is sinking into itself, it really is for the best that I put him out of his misery.

Right? 

Other things I'm thinking about these days: How wonderful it is to have a 60 degree day in December. How the Strand rare books section is my new favorite place on earth and it was there that I found a book of old slang and learned the word "absquatulate" (which is my new favorite word!). How the Caribbean is 80 degrees and sunny every single day and I want to go there. How much I love the Union Square Holiday Fair even though it is too crowded and one time someone pick pocketed me and took all my money ($60!). How delicious hot chocolate tastes on a cold day. How Christmas is just around the corner (and yes I know I'm Jewish. Whatever, I still celebrate Christmas. As far as I'm concerned, it's an American holiday).

And lastly: how good it is to hang out with old friends. Sometimes, when I think of socializing, I think "that sounds like a lot of work." I know this probably makes me sound weird and abnormal. But, then, whenever I see my friends, I remember how wonderful it is to feel like you're relating to someone else, that you're sharing an experience with someone else, that someone else can tell you something interesting or make you laugh. And I always, without fail, feel so rejuvenated afterwards. I must keep that note for myself for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment