Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Meetup.com

Last week I went to a meet up that I found on meetup.com (Yes, even though I have a boyfriend I still do internet dating). I have been wanting to meet more young people who share my interests, so one day, on a whim, I logged onto a computer and googled how. I joined groups that looked interesting to me and signed on to get notifications of their upcoming events. And then! I went to one. I met the people.  It was so, so incredibly invigorating.  

But, perhaps my favorite part, I met this one kid (I'm using the term "kid" very loosely in this case) who is a professional classical pianist – like, FOR A LIVING. I asked him if he knew my favorite Beethoven Sonata (no. 21, Waldstein) and he did, BY HEART. He knew it by heart. I asked him if I told him I had a piano would he play it for me right now? AND HE SAID HE WOULD. And that's how he ended up in a cab headed downtown with me and my boyfriend.
 
You are probably thinking, "uhh... Jane? Might you be a little bit crazy?" And the answer is.... Maybe. I can't rule out the possibility.
 
But ALSO a professional concert pianist gave my family a private performance in which he absolutely rocked. The SHIT. Out of my favorite, favorite piece of music.

I am not kidding you when I say I cried a little, I love this piece so much. And he played it with so much feeling and intensity. I wasn’t crying tears of sadness, obviously, but for overwhelming power of music and the men who create it.  

You should listen to this piece right now: Beethoven Piano Sonata No. 21. It changes my life every time I hear it. It’s that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment