Monday, December 10, 2012

Channukah!

My household celebrated Chanukah over the weekend. In typical fashion, I of course mean that we ate a ton of delicious food, in this case all of it fried.

Did we play dradle? No, we did not. Did we dance the hora? ..... Don't be ridiculous. Did we light the menorah? Uhm, yes but only barely. Apparently I am the only one who actually knows the prayer.

BUT we did eat an obnoxious number of latkas. And my uncle, of Thanksgiving fame, made us jelly donuts from scratch. He made the latkas from scratch too. I ate too much of both. Nothing I put into my mouth hadn't been fried. And in the midst of this starch fest, my youngest cousin said to me, "this is my favorite kind of meal: no obligatory salad." Amen.

Oh, and as for me vs. my youngest cousin round 2: the ultimate eating challenge? I totally kicked her ass. I ate at least double the number of latkas she did. And probably triple the number of jelly donuts. My official place as Champion Overeater in the family has been restored. Phew.

Wait... Is that a good thing?.....

Yes, yes it is.

I'm pretty sure this is what it means to be Jewish.

No comments:

Post a Comment