Saturday, October 13, 2012

Brr

Fall has most definitely arrived in New York City and I have been extremely chilly. Weirdly, all of my friends seem to think that fall is absolutely the best time of year. Is this because it's so... Snuggly? And haunted? Am I the only person in the world who realizes that this means it's almost winter? ... It's possible that living in Maine has scarred me for life.

Unfortunately, it has also come time for me to put away my summer clothes. I will miss them dearly, for this means the end of the days when I can throw on a dress and flip flops and be done. I've never cared much for clothes or fashion (Even though I grew up in New York City! For shame!). And  autumn clothes, especially work clothes, require a little too much attention and detail for my liking: pants go with which top, go with which shoes, go with which sweater and jacket? ... Am I the only girl in the world who thinks dressing myself is a total chore? 

And is now the right time to mention that I have never bought nor carried a handbag in my entire life? Or ... is it a purse? I don't even know what we're calling them these days.  But I am a 23 year old girl, I swear!! And I am from New York City.

Another thing I don't own nearly enough of: pants. I am in dire need of pants.  So today I had to go... shopping... shudder. It was a crisp, clear, beautiful fall Saturday in New York, so of course I wasn't the only one who had this brilliant idea. The stores were packed, PACKED. New York City style which means... not being able to find anything you might actually want in your size and then, if/when you do, waiting in line for the dressing room. And it's a loooong line, so you better make sure you already have everything you might possibly want before you get there-- the good, the "maybe," and the "seriously maybe." 

Then, finally, there is the horrible task of... trying everything on. I always find this so exhausting. Nothing ever looks like it did on the mannequin, and they always have those three way mirrors, and it's like, "This mirror is just unflattering right? I don't really look this pale? Have my thighs always been this... rotund? Did I really eat a cupcake last night?" Help. 

I don't plan on revisiting this experience anytime in the near future, so I made sure to get all the clothes I could possibly need for the next few years. Years. My female friends gasp in horror. 

I did get a pair of boots, though! (Only one pair! I know, I'm not really a girl am I? I'm not really from New York?): 



And I just want to be clear that I practically had to lie on the floor of the dressing room to take this photo. My BFF had asked for a pic I told her "if this doesn't represent my dedication to you, I don't even know what does" and she told me, "Oo I love! You should wear with skinny jeans and an oversized sweater." ....

So after all this shopping, I probably should have gone to the gym. You know, just to make sure that I will still fit into all of my new clothes tomorrow. But instead I... made dinner. Soup, because it's that time of year. Corn and Cheese Chowder specifically, and, yes, it was exactly as fattening as it sounds. I have problems. But it also involved all the colors of fall and was very warming and delicious. Here is the recipe I used: 

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/10/corn-cheese-chowder/ 

Except I added more cheese and also used heavy cream instead of half & half... obviously. It's really a good thing that I don't have a three-way mirror at my house.... or is it?

I was also very fancy today and used bread bowls like the Pioneer Woman recommends. This is because the Pioneer Woman knows all. Also they happened to have the right kind of bread at the super market down the street from my house. On the plus-side: the bread has become all soft and mushy and full of broth and tastes ahmayzing. On the downside:... you end up wasting a lot of bread.... 

Now I think I will watch a Halloween movie, even though it's only the middle of October. Fall, to me, seems to be the shortest time of year and I must enjoy as much of it as I can. 

Tomorrow, I shall carve a pumpkin. 



No comments:

Post a Comment